Here’s the proof you’ll give yourself a competitive edge…
- If you speak French, you can communicate with people in 56 countries where French is the language of business, government and daily life.
- Spanish opens the door to direct communication with institutions and individuals in 40 countries.
- Spanish is spoken by 10 percent of the population in the U.S., second only to English.
- Competency in a modern foreign language can let your roam far from Ohio, or help you build a strong career here at home.
- You might be surprised how many Ohio businesses and institutions need people who are able to communicate across linguistic and cultural divides. Many offer signing bonuses to job candidates with foreign language skills.
- French-speaking Canada is Ohio's largest exterior trading partner, followed by Mexico
- The study of a foreign language strengthens analytical skills and can improve standardized tests results like the GRE and LSAT.
Ashland University seniors majoring in Spanish and French who took the ACTFL Oral and/or Writing proficiency exams have a 100 percent rate of meeting the required level for Ohio Department of Education for teacher licensure.
The Job Advantage in a Global Economy
No matter what career you choose, if you've learned a second foreign language you’ll have a real advantage.
There are lots of North Americans who speak language other than English. Nurses, teachers, doctors, psychologists, social workers or police officers may need to speak more than one language to do their jobs well. Bilingual hotel managers or journalists may look much better at promotion time than people who know only English.
Professionals who know other languages are called on to travel and exchange information with people in the United States and other countries throughout their careers. Knowing more than one language enhances opportunities in government, business, law, medicine and health care, teaching technology, the military, communications, industry, social service and marketing. An employer will see you as a bridge to new clients or customers if you know a second language. You are also more likely to win the trust and friendship of people whose languages you know.