Senior Alli Combs writes home about her second week in Ecuador

11:25 AM
Hola compañer@s!




Wow-has it been a week already?? Since I last wrote you, I have spent even more time with the kids, traveled to HPSN Latacunga, served as a translator for a 19 year old girl who was meeting her biological family for the first time, organized an office (rather, tried to), and met and moved in with my host family!
I think one of the largest challenges I have met while here has been simply trying to care for the children. You can tell by the way that some of the older ones act how living in an orphanage setting has affected them. Please don't get me wrong, though! HPSN is a wonderful organization and the fact that is is Christ-based definitely helps with raising the children, but the tías can only do so much.  These incredible children need their own parents (biological or otherwise) to care for them and love them.
I cannot believe that my time here is already half over.  I feel as though there is so much more I could give to these children and so much more I could learn from them and the tías that care for them.  One always goes on these trips feeling that they can change the world, only to soon realize that the world is changing them. 
Until next week-
Alli

0 komentar