Spanish in Law Practice

6:43 AM
by Clarke Owens, Attorney

Recently, the court staff in Holmes County noted on my attorney profile that I speak some Spanish, and they asked me to accept an appointment to represent a Central American client who spoke no English.

At our first hearing, I was introduced to the certified court reporter. The CCR is a person fluent in a foreign language, trained and board-certified to translate in a court of law. Since his skills were greater than mine, he offered to translate for me and my client. I was greatly impressed with the interpreter's ability to put all my questions, instructions, and legal terms into language that the client understood. The CCR seldom interrupted me, and allowed me to express myself at great length, taking down key words as I spoke, which enabled him to remember everything I had said.

Knowledge of Spanish is becoming more and more valuable in the legal profession, even here in Ohio where the Spanish-speaking population is not as visible as in California, Florida, or Texas. Whereas, for many years, immigration attorneys were only available in the big cities, like Cleveland and Akron, today we have an attorney in Wooster who tells me immigration law is 25% of her practice.

Spanish speaking ability is the wave of the future for people whose jobs require them to communicate with a large number of people. It's also gratifying to be able to use this skill to help others, aside from using it in travels, or in reading. My foreign languages are French and Spanish, and I derive great satisfaction from studying them, and from using these skills in my legal practice.

0 komentar